Sunday, September 18, 2011

After a month...

It’s hard to believe it’s been a month since we moved in and started our intensive orientation to Dominican Religious Life. Sometimes it feels like only four days ago and other times it feels like four months. I finally feel like things are settling down a bit and that I am getting the hang of the routine (I know that will change soon). As part of this year we are each to do a few hours of ministry a week…preferably in some area that would be a stretch for us. We were introduced to many different options and they each didn’t quite fit right or would have been too easy for me. I knew I would know my ministry when I found it and I didn’t really want to settle for something else because I knew it was out there somewhere. This past week, I found it. I attended a presentation about the epidemic of Human Trafficking and how large of a problem it is right here in St. Louis. I was appalled at the statistics I was shown. Most of the children (average age is 13) are either runaway or throwaway (parents kick them out of the house) kids looking for someone to love and support them. My heart broke to hear about some of what these children are going through and I knew I had to help this organization in some way. We are still figuring out the details, but I know that I need to help spread the word about this hidden industry in our society. It should NOT be happening and we need to recognize and stop it before more children are victimized.

--Krissie

No comments:

Post a Comment