Thursday, February 3, 2022

Where Will my Journey Take Me?

 

"We walk by faith, not by sight" 2 Corinthians 5:7 


                                     


Since arriving at the novitiate on August 14, 2021, I have physically journeyed 1,245 miles! How do I know that? Because my Fitbit tells me each day how many miles I walked on a given day.  But how many more miles have I spiritually journeyed with God since arriving here at the CDN in August? And is there a spiritual Fitbit to measure that? Back to those questions a little later.

For those who know me, you may know I love to walk. But that wasn’t always the case. I grew into the practice of walking when I set my mind on becoming "healthier". I started by just walking around the block because that’s all I could do when I started on this walking journey four years ago. Little by little I began to enjoy being outside in nature walking. I began to understand how to see God's beauty in nature and how to love God’s creation. My love for walking really kicked in when I decided to train to walk the Way of St. James (the Camino) in Spain. I read Joyce Rupp’s book, “Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino” and it was then that I understood that walking could be a prayer and a spiritual journey as well.  

One of the reasons I believe I was attracted to the Dominican Order was because I learned that St. Dominic used his many “walking journeys” as a time to “talk with God and about God” to anyone he met on his journey.  I felt a very strong connection to St. Dominic’s way of journeying with prayer. This has now become a very important practice in my daily prayer life here at the CDN. I get up at 5AM every morning so that I can go out before community prayer to walk and talk with God. I call this my “journeying with God” time.

I have come to treasure my time here at the CDN because it gives me the space and time to (literally and spiritually) journey with God and more importantly, the contemplative space to listen to what God is saying to me. My spiritual journey is well on its way in some areas, but only just beginning in other areas. So, my spiritual Fitbit is reminding me to keep up the journey with God and to trust that God knows where God wants my journey to take me. I have a great inner peace that I am on the right journey and that God is leading the way. Here at the CDN, I have learned to trust what God is speaking to my heart, especially as I track the spiritual miles that I spend walking and talking with God. Where will God be taking you and your spiritual Fitbit today on your journey? Peace, Joy and Blessings for the Way.    


3 comments:

  1. Cathy, you look terrific and sound even better. We are walkers too. But in the cold weather we shy away from that exercise. After reading your thoughts on walking, we will be more dedicated. You You are always in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Alice and El

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sr. Alice and Sr. Eleanor! You are my prayer heros!! I do a lot of my walking indoors when Chicago gets really cold, which is most days in the winter. I try not to let the weather deter me from my walk with God! Blessings for your prayers and support

    ReplyDelete